20 cities in 3 continents
Exploring the Edges
2 M €
# OF MEMBERS
60 connectors 8,000 community members
Why are virtual communities necessary?
At Ouishare we believe virtual communities are important because:
- We see organisations as movements, people who are striving for a common purpose; the only organisations that survive are the ones people care about and community is a powerful way to bring people together around things they care about.
- The power of communities and networks is that they help things to happen and they create the ecosystem for connections while fostering knowledge and resource sharing.
- They offer a support-system of like-minded people who can help and trouble-shoot quickly and without bureaucratic barriers.
- They help people to keep their finger on the pulse of what is happening in the world and in different communities while creating conditions for sharing inside information in a trusting way.
- They facilitate the blending of diversey and diverging views and provide members with opportunities to receive feedback from people with different perspectives.
Why do people join communities?
- To identify with a group and feel that they belong.
- To learn from peers they identify with.
- To share a common purpose or find ideas they believe in.
- To find a safe space in which to grow and experiment.
- To create their own ecosystems with their own set of rules, for instance, decentralisation, non-hierarchy, trust.
How do you know if building a virtual community is right for your organisation or project?
- Is it a choice? If you see organisations as platforms or movements then every organisation could potentially evolve into a community.
- If you believe in community, inter-being, decentralisation, collective knowledge, diversity, care, and trust to create more effective solutions and sustainable futures for individuals and the planet, then a virtual community is right for you.
- If you are prepared enough to invite some chaos, conflict, emergence to what you do and are willing to invest time and care because you believe in the process and values.